Core Science, Additional Science, Further Additional Science BB or Biology B plus Maths C and English Language C equivalents.
Following the Edexcel Advance GCE in Biology A specification, the aims of the GCSE in Biology are to enable students to:
(a) Develop their interest in, and enthusiasm for, Biology including developing an interest in further study and careers in the subject.
(b) Appreciate how society makes decisions about Biology-related issues and how Biology contributes to the success of the economy and society.
(c) Develop and demonstrate a deeper appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of How Science Works.
(d) Develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of Biology and how they relate to each other.
Topic 1 – Lifestyle, Health and Risk
Topic 2 – Genes and Health
Topic 3 – Voice of the Genome
Topic 4 – Biodiversity and Natural Resources
Topics 1 – 4 as per the AS route, plus
Topic 5 – On The Wild Side
Topic 6 – Immunity, Infection and Forensics
Topic 7 – Run For Your Life
Topic 8 – Grey Matter
- AS Level paper 1: 1hr 30mins Written paper – covers topics 1 and 2
- AS Level paper 2: 1hr 30mins Written paper – covers topics 3 and 4
- A Level paper 1: 2hr Written paper – covers AS topics and topics 5&6 16 17
- A Level paper 2: 2hr Written paper – covers AS topics and topics 7&8
- A Level paper 3: 2hr Written paper – covers ALL topics and pre-released reading material
Studying this course can lead on to:
- a range of different relevant academic or vocational higher education qualifications, such as a Biology or Medicine degree
- Employment in a relevant sector, such as scientific research
- Further training such as an apprenticeship