English Language 4/C equivalent and Business Studies 5/C, if this has been taken at GCSE; Maths 5/C equivalent is also desirable, but not essential.
This course is ideal for those students who are keen to understand and are interested in the world of commerce, finance and entrepreneurship, Business will allow students to develop the knowledge and skills needed to analyse data, think critically about issues and make informed decisions – all skills that are needed for further study and employment.
Business has been reaccredited with A Level status and new from 2015 students will study an AQA syllabus that will introduce those who have not studied the subject at GCSE to what Business is, will expand on topics such as leadership and management, and introduce key decision making skills and processes.
1) What is business?
2) Managers, leadership and decision making
3) Decision making to improve marketing performance
4) Decision making to improve operational performance
5) Decision making to improve financial performance
6) Decision making to improve human resource performance
7) Analysing the strategic position of a business (A Level only)
8) Choosing strategic direction (A Level only)
9) Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies (A Level only)
10) Managing strategic change (A Level only)
AS: Two equally weighted 90 minute written exams each assessing components 1-6 with questions comprising of multiple choice, short answer, data stimuli/response, and case study questions.
A Level: Three equally weighted 120 minute written exams each assessing components 1-10 with questions comprising of multiple choice, short answer, data stimuli/response, case study, and essay questions.
Business is a subject that complements a variety of other A Level subjects, it is theoretical and will support students in developing their communication skills while also teaching them practical skills they will apply in the workplace. Many of our students have gone on to study a Business/Finance/ Accounting related degree course at university and these are now some of the most popular subjects studied in UK universities. Masters level Business qualifications are proven to be among the most likely to dramatically increase employability and earning potential.